Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kentucky Back Roads


Kentucky

Back roads of solitude
A window to the past
Memories in the multitude
How I wish it would last

Gravel roads and warm summer evenings
Children ready to explore
Blue skies and fields in bloom 
Made for a child to adore

Laughter floating upon a sun-warmed breeze
Lights upon my memory
Often like a sweet old scent
Lingering, only a moment before it's spent

Skipping stones and catching fireflies
An old world sport too soon gone by
All these memories
flow to me with ease
And then, vanish, like a summer breeze

Even though merely fleeting
I'll take these moments offered me
Memories of precious days gone by
That whisper an old song, as sweet as a lullaby

                                                            Mary Christopher Smith

No comments: